What is the 60-Hour DV/SV Advocate Training?
The 60-Hour Domestic/Sexual Violence Advocate training gives basic knowledge to:
- Understand the dynamics of domestic abuse
- Learn how to empower survivors
- Become familiar with resources and procedures
- Develop practical expectations for helping survivors.
The training is offered twice a year in the spring and fall and includes lectures, Q&A sessions, online courses, and group activities.
- Introduction: The History of Domestic Violence and Safe+Sound Somerset
- Victims and Survivors: Ways People Respond to Abuse
- Understanding People Who Abuse
- Legal Advocacy and Domestic Violence Response Teams
- Substance Abuse and Domestic Abuse
- Cultural Competence
- Trauma and Recovery
- Children and Teens
- Communication Skills for Empowerment
- Values and Ethics: Confidentiality
- Crisis Intervention and Advocacy
- Volunteer Opportunities